Wednesday 20 November 2013

Audiences: Trends, Profiles and Patterns

Pete Buckingham statistics:
People aged 15-24 represent 32% of the population but 40% of cinema audience, while 55+'s represent 34% of the population but only 20% of the cinema audience.

I think 15-24's have double the amount of a cinema audience as more movies are aimed at people between these ages, this is due to them have more spare time as they don't have children, full time jobs, or money problems such as loans to pay off that older people may have. Also as 15-24's are mostly students, they have friends in school they can go with.

Pete Buckingham statistics:
ABC1's represent 49% of the population, but 60% of the cinema audience.

ABC1's are more commonly known as the middle class, I believe they'll be a high percentage of the cinema audience as they have a higher disposable income.


Why do you watch films?
Some people watch films/go to the cinema because of this
I watch films for the entertainment, I enjoy surprising films, but my favourite genre of film is horror (which has typical conventions, which makes horror films not very surprising) so I also enjoy the exhilaration and excitement of a film.
I mainly consume films through streaming or the cinema, but the overall trend for film consumption is:
(see slide 2)


Driver and barriers:

Drivers:
Things that encourage me to go to the cinema

Genre
Actors

My favourite genre of film is Horror. If I see an advert for a new horror movie that is coming to cinemas I will imediatley be interested in it and so will want to watch it.
If my favourite actor is in a film I will be interested in the film, even if it isn't my favourite genre, as I prefer films featuring them eg. My favourite actor is James Franco, and although he doesn't star in horror movies, I watch and enjoy his films. This is simular for any popular actor not just my favourite.


Barriers:
Things that discourage me to go to the cinema

Cinema price
No spare time

Cinema prices are not cheap, and so I don't go to the cinema as much as I'd like to. When I do go to the cinema I have quite a hedonist attitude when picking a film to watch, as I make quick decisions on most films I watch, instead of planning out a film I really want to see.
Sixth form is my top priority and in my spare time I'm more likely to finish work or revise for certain lessons than go to the cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment